Sunday, September 25, 2011

Welcome to Boys Over Flowers

Hannah introduced me to Korean drama the first day she was here, but it has taken nearly a month for me to actually watch it. The show: Boys Over Flowers. It's latest victim: Me.



I am ashamed to admit that I spent most of the past 24 hours locked away in the boudoir and clicking the "next episode" button on the hour. Though F4 seems to experience more drama in a day than I have in a lifetime, my pull to the soap is it's comedy. Which I think is unintentional...

There's the three Korean pop songs that are played over and over again throughout each episode--comparable to shmaltzy elevator muzak but in Korean...with the occasional "you smile" in English. Oh and then there's the lovely sound effects, like the thumping of a heart whenever Goo JoonPyo or JiHoo see Geom JanDi, or the BOING when someone's eyes open. But the real kicker is the upscale Korean menswear. Never in my life have I seen such frilly outerwear! Not an episode goes by without some new, atrocious, fur covered, floor length, exceedingly feminine piece of fashion.

But still I keep watching. I can't decide if JanDi belongs with JoonPyo or JiHoo, or if Song WooBin's random sojourns into American "gangsta" English are hilarious or mortifying. And one more thing...If So YiJung and GaEul don't realize they're madly in like with each other soon, I may have a conniption.

That damn Hannah Hibbs got me hooked. This is serious. I'm going to need rehabilitation.

Sincerely,
Yibbsy

No comments:

Post a Comment